The city that never sleeps.
If New York is the city that never sleeps, then Hong Kong must be the city that the city LIGHTS never sleep.
At the 2012 Night View Convention Summit, it was named one of the top 3 cities in the world for the best night views.
And I must say, the views (from both Kowloon & Hong Kong island) are pretty sick indeed.
I won't consider myself an expert but I've decided to put together here the 5 best rooftop bars in Hong Kong, with insider tips from my friends (both expats and locals) living there, my trusty Lonely Planet pocket guide and TripAdvisor - some chosen on account of the crowd they attract, some because of the decor and some because they can only be found in Hong Kong.
(In no particular order)
- SEVVA Taste Bar: Best seats in the city to view the fireworks and the 'Symphony of Lights' Laser Show.
- Armani/Privé: The Giorgio Armani brand practically sells itself but if you need details, Armani/Privé has two avant-garde faces - an up-beat lounge club where the gliteratti play late into the night to the latest DJ vibes, and a chill-out rooftop terrace with electric Blade Runner, skyscraper city views.
- Ozone: Highest bar in the WORLD.
- Sugar: This slinky rooftop bar and deck features comfortable daybeds and couches along with a chic selection of martinis, mojitos, bellinis and plenty of rum and bourbon with cigars to match.
- Aqua Spirit: Floor-to-ceiling windows spanning two stories. Might come with a dose of alcohol-induced vertigo.
And in case you were wondering, the other 2 cities for best night views are Nagasaki and Monaco... which basically means, two down, one to go ;)
Rest of the Hong Kong diaries here.