Vanilla cupcakes with chocolate filling!
So, I baked cupcakes today!
We were at the supermarket this afternoon when the boy mentioned,
"That day my colleague brought breakfast to work... his wife baked him cupcakes lor. So sweet! You know how to bake? Aiya... you surely don't know one lah."
Hello, 本小姐 used to top my class in Home Economics so baking is simply, a piece of cake. Pun intended :joy:
So I googled, found this recipe and made some modifications and boy...
They turned out so yummy!
So incredibly fluffy, moist and with a decadent dark chocolate centre, I am immensely proud of myself!
Here's my recipe if you're interested :)
150 g all purpose flour
7 grams of baking powder
125 g fresh butter
125 g fine sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
a good pinch of salt
70 g full cream milk
Lindt dark chocolate (Optional)
1 ripe banana (Optional)
1 cup of baked walnuts (Optional)
1) Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature before you start.
2) Preheat your oven to 180ºC = 350ºF.
3) Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
4) Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy.
5) Add the sugar and beat for another minute.
6) Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
7) Beat in the vanilla extract.
8) In a separate bowl sift the flour together with the baking powder, and salt.
9) Fold in the flour mixture and the milk in stages (what I did was to alternate between the flour mixture and milk) and combine very gently and stop as soon as combined. Do not over-mix or it will produce too much gluten. Too much gluten causes a cracked and domed top.
10) Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are 3/4 full.
11) (Optional) Insert half a square of Lindt dark chocolate diagonally into the batter. This will give it a molten choco centre. (By the way, I highly recommend using Lindt only. I also tried it with Ritter Sport which ended up burning... I'm guessing it has a higher sugar content?)
12) (Optional) If you prefer, you can also use banana and walnuts. What I did was to spoon out some batter, put in 3 slices of bananas and chopped walnuts and topped it with more batter.
All ready to go into the oven!
13) Bake for 20-22 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
14) Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
The "dent" on the cupcake is where you can see a little chocolate peeking out.
I used the Lindt Dark Chocolate with a touch of Sea Salt and it was sooooo goood!
I think they are good enough as is but if you need some frosting, you can top it off with peanut butter or use this easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe.
I wanted the husband to bring the cupcakes to work tomorrow to show off (HAHAHA) but they were so good, my in-laws polished them all off!