Things only those who grew up in Singapore in the 90s can relate to!
I was talking to Bryant about how we used to chat over IRC during our secondary school days and boy, has the world changed in the past decade. Do you still remember those days spent in IRC chatrooms and slapping each other around with a large trout? Or your ICQ number? I can actually still remember mine by heart!
So we decided to put together this 20 Signs You Grew Up In The 90s list... I had so much fun doing this!
1. You wrote testimonials on each other's profile on FRIENDSTER.
This was before Emoji and Facebook.
2. You know what 512 and 1314 and 3344 mean.
And used to own one of these.
3. Which you ended up trading up to the 8250.
Because that blue backlight and butterfly buttons makes this the coolest gadget. EVER.
4. Far East Plaza was the place to see and be seen.
And we used to get scared by the Ah Bengs and Ah Lians hanging out there.
5. Ah bengs were the ones carrying pointed combs
6. And JPG long wallets
Or the ones with the DRAGON motif.
7. The most romantic place in Singapore was at East Coast Park.
The No. 1 spot where you'd get asked to go steady.
8. You would declare your love with bus tickets.
And put these hearts in glass bottles.
9. Or pick these "love seeds" from Fort Canning Park
And put them in glass bottles too.
10. Going to the zoo meant root beer floats and curly fries.
Coney dogs and waffles too.
11. You had a pet chicken or dinosaur.
And you'd try to feed them secretly under your desk during class.
12. The most motivational song of all time begins with "Don't Lose Your Way..."
And you know who these characters are. (This cartoon still makes me cry.)
13. The Teletubbies still creep you out.
'Nuff said. I heard they were making a comeback, god bless our souls.
14. Getting online meant that you'd to dial-up with a 56k modem.
Remember how it would make all those weird bleeps and blurps when trying to connect? And how you'd to tell your parents not to use the phone because you're using the Internet.
15. Girl Power looked like that.
And of course you know the lyrics to Wannabe by heart.
16. You also know the Macarena by heart.
Complete with the moves.
17. Britney vs. Christina
You HAD to pick a team.
18. Backstreet Boys vs. N'Sync
Likewise when it came to the biggest boy bands of all time.
19. The Great Singapore Workout
Who could ever forget "flush, flush, poot, clap clap"?
20. George Lam will always mean one thing.